Do you love to write? Have you written a handful of short stories or a novel that you want to get printed? Or, do you have a collection of photographs that you want to get printed in the form of a book? Well, no matter the reason, getting a book printed can be a tedious job. It is a long process, from designing to paper stock to binding to finish, and can be really confusing. And this is where online printing comes in.
The emergence of online book printing services has made printing books a lot easier. Not only do online printing services get books printed in less time but also in deciding the different options of print in order for the book to be more effective.
Here are 7 fundamental steps for your book printing:
- Analyze: The first and foremost thing to do before going for book or booklet printing is to analyze other books of your genre and their design. Go through the books you have on your shelf or pay a visit to the local bookstore. Getting an idea about the style, design and finish they have will certainly help you in deciding those that your book should have.
- Size: B-Format standard is 198mm x 129 mm. This size is perfect for fiction books such as poetry or novels. They are also easy to carry around. A5 is one of the most common and popular book sizes. Their standard being 210mm x 148 mm. B5 is preferred for journal and non-fiction book printing. A4 size is suited for art-style books such as children’s books. Size ranges from 251mm x 177mm to 297mm x 210mm.
- Color: The color of your book plays a significant role. Hence, it is important to choose one that complements your content. Also, consider your budget while opting for coloring. There are combinations like color for cover and B/W for inner or color for both cover and inner.
- Paper Stock: The type of paper also depends on your content and budget. Online book printing services have a variety of paper stock available in both color and B/W. As far as norms go, novels are usually printed on off-white paper with a matt finish. Non-fiction books are more often printed on plain white paper with a gloss cover finish. If your book is based on high-quality photography, color or B/W, then it is recommended to print them on coated paper. For books that have color images or text, an 80gsm or 100gsm opaque paper is an effective option.
- Cover: Decide on whether you want a paperback or hardcover and the finish, matte or gloss. Hardcover goes well with novels and photography books. Paperback is better suited to non-fiction and children’s books. Many book printing services provide you with suggestions to make the cover more effective. Also, decide upon the spine accordingly based on the number of pages and paper stock. As far as the finish is concerned, matte finish provides an elegant feel suited to novels and storybooks, while gloss is preferred for art-style books.
- Order submit: Once you have decided about the above specifications for your book or booklet printing, it is time for you to submit the order to your preferred book printing service provider in order for them to generate a price for your requirements. Once you know the price, you can decide whether you want to go for print or opt for another printing service that suits your budget.
- Proof and Print: Online book printing services send you a proof copy once they receive your files for printing after you have acknowledged their print price. This gives you the chance to go through the final printed copy and see if there are any errors. Once satisfied, you can send them back for print. Different printing services have different stipulated times of delivery based on their production time.
Opting for book or booklet printing services online, lets you save more while printing your book or booklet effectively. Keeping these 7 points in mind will help you to decide upon your book printing in a sorted manner.